About My Emergency Doctor
- What is My Emergency Dr?
- Who are Connected Medical Solutions?
- What is an Emergency Specialist Doctor?
- Why is this service being offered?
Using My Emergency Doctor
- Does this service replace my GP or 000?
- What do I need to use the service?
- How does the service work?
- Will you let my GP know that I’ve used this service?
- What if I need medication or an x-ray?
- Can a child use this service?
- What services are not provided?
Privacy and Cost
- What do I need to do next?
- Do I need to register and enter my Credit Card details every time I use the app?
- What if I have a complaint to make about the medical treatment I received?
- Why can’t I continue after entering my Credit Card info?
- What if I’m a patient, staff member or volunteer of Chris O’Brien Lifehouse?
- What if I have more questions?
What is My Emergency Dr?
My Emergency Dr is a video-based smartphone app that puts you in touch with an Australian qualified Emergency Specialist Doctor 24/7 when you need one, at the touch of a button. My Emergency Dr is brought to you by Connected Medical Solutions Pty Ltd.
Who are Connected Medical Solutions?
Connected Medical Solutions (ConnectedMed) is an Australian owned company.
Our registered clients have 24 hour-a-day immediate phone and video access to a team of Emergency Specialists who can remotely assess, diagnose and arrange treatment.
What is an Emergency Specialist Doctor?
Emergency medicine is a recognised speciality within medicine where the focus is on immediate diagnosis, resuscitation and treatment of patients with an acute medical condition. Emergency Specialist Doctors (also called Fellows of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine, or FACEMs) have completed specialist training and passed their Fellowship or ‘Consultant’ Exam in Emergency Medicine. They are trained to deal with the full range of emergencies suffered by all patients regardless of age or gender.
Further information about Emergency Medicine specialist training can be found here: here.
Why is this service being offered?
Wherever you live in Australia, you should be able to access the best possible healthcare in a crisis. If you or a family member are experiencing illness or injury, sometimes you have no other choice but to go to the local emergency department and spend hours waiting to see a doctor.
Even at the completion of your Emergency Department visit, most patients will not have been seen by an emergency specialist doctor.
My Emergency Dr allows you to jump the queue and be seen by a specialist emergency doctor from the comfort of your own home, simply by clicking ‘Connect Now’ on your smartphone.
Does this service replace my GP or OOO?
Absolutely not. We recognise that your GP is your primary healthcare provider. We simply want to be there at times when your GP can’t be, as our service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Please also note that this is not a replacement for the emergency 000 service. If you suffer a time-critical emergency such as chest pain or difficulty breathing, call 000 without delay.
What do I need to use the service?
- An iPhone 5, 6 or 7 using iOS operating system 9 or later, or an Android phone, using Android 6 operating system or later.
- An internet connection
- Adequate background lighting (so our doctors can see you)
- Our app (see below).
How does the service work?
The key steps are:
- Download our app My Emergency Dr from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Open the app & register your name, mobile number & credit card details/Partner Code.
- When an urgent health problem, illness or injury affects you, open the app and connect via built-in video to the emergency specialist doctor.
- The doctor will assess you and make a diagnosis, then arrange what is needed, e.g. prescription for medication, referral for an x-ray, or even urgent admission to hospital.
- The doctor will make available on our patient portal for you to download, a copy of your consultation summary together with any prescriptions or referrals you might have been given.
Will you let my GP know that I’ve used this service?
You are welcome to download a copy of your consultation summary, prescription and referral and forward to your doctor at your own convenience.
What if I need medication or an x-ray?
If medications need to be organised, we can issue you with an electronic prescription. Similarly, we can also issue you with a referral for an x-ray or blood test. Please also note that for S4 drugs, our policy is to email the prescription direct to the pharmacist. We will not prescribe S8 drugs under any circumstances.
Can a child use this service?
A child can use this service provided he/she is in the company of a parent or guardian during the entire consultation.
What services are not provided?
This is an emergency telehealth service. We do not provide home visits or in-person consultations. We also do not prescribe S8 medications.
Is my data secured? Will the call be private?
From time to time a second emergency specialist doctor may access your patient records for quality assurance purposes only. Please also see our Terms and Conditions.
Does it cost anything?
Please find the service fees here
For residents of aged care facilities and for Australians living in a telehealth-eligible area (which Medicare defines as outside of major city (RA1) as classified by the Australian Standard Geographical Classification), the service can be bulk-billed to Medicare if your GP has provided a referral in advance.
To check if you live in a Medicare approved telehealth area, check the Australian Standard Geographical Classification website here.
What if I have a partner code?
If you are in possession of a My Emergency Dr Partner Code (“Code”), you are deemed to agree to the following in the event that you attempt to use the Code:
- All codes are issued strictly on the basis that they are to be used only if you satisfy the specified criteria on which the Code was issued;
- A code will entitle you to either discounted pricing or a special billing arrangement for use of My Emergency Dr;
- When you call through to My Emergency Dr using a Code, we reserve the right to ask you certain questions to ensure that you satisfy the relevant criteria. If you do not satisfy the criteria, you will be asked to pay a fee (see Schedule of Fees) before we proceed with the medical consultation;
- If after a consultation has taken place, it becomes apparent to us that you were not entitled to use the Code because you did not satisfy the relevant criteria at the time the consultation took place , we reserve the right to charge you a fee (see Schedule of Fees) after the consultation;
- Codes are issued on the basis that they are valid for use only during a certain period after which they will expire.
If you have any query relating to using a code or the criteria for using the code, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us on 1800 123 633
Do I need to register and enter my credit card details every time I use the app?
No. You only need to register the first time and as long as you don’t Log Out, all your details will be securely stored for when you need to use the App
What if I have a complaint to make about the medical treatment I received?
Please contact either:
The Practice Manager
My Emergency Dr
1800 123 633
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
1300 419 495
NSW Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC)
1800 043 159
Why can’t I continue after entering my Credit Card info?
Some users may not see the Continue button once they have entered their Credit Card details. By pressing enter, your keyboard will minimise and the Continue button will be available.
What if I’m a patient, staff member or volunteer of Chris O’Brien Lifehouse?
If you are participating in the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse trial, enter the code you have been given, which will allow you to access the service at no cost. We will notify you in advance when the trial is due to end. If a code is used by a patient who is not authorised to use it, we reserve the right to charge for that consultation.
What if I have more questions?
Please email us at email@example.com or contact us on 1800 123 633